It looks like we’re in the Apocalypse, spinning happily (or not) in the eye of a storm we’ve brought on ourselves. Apocalypse comes from a word meaning to uncover or reveal, and is also linked to the idea of lifting a veil. But what is being uncovered? What is being revealed?
We’re living through the End of Empire, specifically the end of the dominance of so-called Western civilisation and all its mad ideas about progress and the domination of nature. This is manifesting in a variety of ways and is creating a lot of distress, confusion and anger as people lose previously secure ways of living.
There’s a lot going on and it’s hard to keep up so here are some of the main areas of concern:
- Economic issues – depression caused by lockdown and mismanagement, and the incoming Great Reset, Green New Deal and UBI, etc.
- Technology issues – the 4th Industrial Revolution, surveillance, censorship, AI and the robot uprising, plus the economic consequences.
- Climate and environmental issues – pollution, extreme weather, questions on climate change modelling, ‘net zero’, carbon taxes, plus the environmental costs of our technology and energy production.
- Society issues – psychological and social consequences of tech revolution, loss of privacy, dehumanisation, mental illness, plus the rise of Communitarianism, totalitarianism, civil breakdown and unrest.
- Cosmic issues – sun cycles and the Grand Solar Minimum, reduced magnetic shield around the Earth and potential solar flare risk. This one might actually be our biggest challenge in the long-run. (See my novel The Shining Ones for a fun take on that…)
Aside: I wrote The Shining Ones several years ago and it’s turning out to be scarily prescient, including a global corporate takeover following a natural disaster using a solar storm rather than a pandemic; plus private security replacing police, the mass collection of DNA and control of the population using genetics, the collapse of air travel, homelessness and disappearances… oh, and the rise of human angels!
Anyway, in the Collective Context post of the Mystic Warrior series earlier this year, we explored how we become trapped by our assumptions about reality. Of course, Reality has other ideas and is constantly breaking through the walls we build in our minds.
The system of civilisation that we’ve built is now colliding with reality and its myths are beginning to unravel. All the crazy behaviour, the tyranny and transhumanism of the machine-mind, are the death throes of the old system doubling down as the walls crumble.
The system is based on scientific materialism which confuses the map with the territory so it can’t understand why it’s failing. A future world built on scientism can only work if it’s built using fraud and corruption, and any world built like that won’t stand for long. It’s literally crumbling as it’s being built.
It’s like they’re trying to bang a nail into a wall in a house on the edge of a cliff that’s collapsing into the sea. Every blow of the hammer sends a shock through the wall and another crack opens up. Even the hammer is falling apart in their hands. It’s just a matter of time before the whole lot crashes to the rocks below.
This reflects the same process as the ego crisis in the dark night of the soul. As the ego crumbles it doubles down and that triggers the dark night.
The world system is an ego structure so the source of the problem is rooted in the way we perceive reality which means the only real solution is a radical transformation of consciousness – a spiritual revolution. And this is what’s happening.
The reason things are so crazy is because most of us are going through it unconsciously and it’s all getting projected into the world and played out on that stage. We witness this as the end of Western civilisation as we know it, but that’s really just a reflection of the end of our current worldview. One doesn’t cause the other – they arise together and are interdependent.
Trying to fix the problems in the outer world without first dealing with the inner problem won’t work. Besides, you can’t fight the system without becoming what you fight. Fighting is the whole problem with the ego – it sets itself up in opposition to the world and then fights it. This can only end badly. As Philip K Dick wrote:
“To fight the Empire is to be infected by its derangement. … Whoever defeats the Empire becomes the Empire; it proliferates like a virus.”
The pressure of this crisis will force everyone to respond. It represents a bifurcation point in our evolution – a transition in consciousness that will either lead to an awakening to a higher level of order, or a disintegration into chaos and destruction. We need to choose to consciously evolve and wake up, and if we don’t – let’s just say, it won’t end well.
This is the endgame, the ultimate disillusionment of the ego or false self. It can’t go any other way. The more the ego tries to hang on and defend itself, the more it undermines itself. It blocks itself every time it makes a move until its tyranny hits the wall.
In the end, you reach checkmate. You can’t move in any direction – a total impasse. At that point, the ego either collapses or breaks through into a new perception of reality.
This is the process of individuation which involves a confrontation with the shadow and a return to awareness of all the parts of yourself that you’ve denied or repressed. It’s a natural part of growing up and is how your consciousness evolves.
On an individual level, this rite of passage is often experienced as a spiritual crisis or dark night of the soul. The non-religious may have some kind of existential meltdown, a crisis of meaning or values, similar to the mid-life crisis, which might even lead to a spiritual awakening if it goes deep enough.
The only way to deal with this is to go through it and that will be harder for some than others. It depends where you are on the path. It may involve the loss and/or testing of your faith, or the deepening and blossoming of your spiritual practice. For others it will be more like an initiation into awakening at the start of a long process of change.
The ones who are most asleep right now will have the hardest road ahead. Many don’t believe any of this God-based nonsense – the atheists and humanists and those who just don’t think about it. This leaves them wide open to massive disillusionment when the old system collapses from under them. There’s nothing for them to fall back on – it’s like falling into a void of chaos. Terrifying.
Those of us – including many of you reading this – who’ve been through their own dark nights have a duty to support and guide those who are struggling, as much as you’re able. It’s not an easy task. It took me 30 years to transition from atheist to agnostic to a deeper understanding of what faith in God means. And I’m still learning and growing.
Whatever TF is going on, you’re not a victim of what’s happening. It’s easy to get sucked into polarising and projecting with all this talk about how ‘they’ are wrecking the economy and destroying your rights (damn it!). But the real issue is what’s going on in your own psyche.
We all need to tackle our own darkness and not project it onto others. Find where you are too controlling or fearful, for example. Find your inner Trump or your inner Bill Gates and try to understand it – why does it act the way it does? How can you make peace with your inner tyrant and send it some compassion?
Then again, there may be a time and a place for justified outrage but it’s tricky to handle without being overtaken by the rage beast. See Anaiya Sophia’s book Fierce Feminine Rising for more (including a tiny contribution from me).
To summarise why this is happening we can look at it from multiple perspectives:
- Political and Economic – the death throes of the old system trying to keep itself going, the end of Western civilisation as we know it, catabolic capitalism eating itself into oblivion, etc.
- Psychological – we’re going mad because our old myths no longer work and we don’t know how to make sense of reality anymore. A massive shift in consciousness is taking place and most people are still fast asleep.
- Spiritual – we’re going through a global dark night of the soul, an initiation into full spiritual adulthood that involves massive disillusionment and a confrontation with the shadow.
- Cosmological – a magnetic shift in the solar system is triggering massive earth and consciousness changes and possibly another plasma event like the one 12,000 years ago.
- Astrological – bloody Saturn Pluto conjunction kicking everybody’s ass, plus the Jupiter Saturn Great Mutation into air, and a general meltdown as we transition out of the Age of Pisces.
- Mythological – Kali Yuga doing its thing, multiple End Times myths, Apocalypse, millenarianism and eschatology.
This global awakening can only happen through individuals – i.e. you! What that looks like on the level of society is anybody’s guess. It’s never been done and it might not even be possible. But you never know, and God knows best, as they say. Genuinely enlightened individuals are rare beasts – I don’t know any! – but maybe they’re about to become more common?
Most of us are wandering around in the dark, banging into the furniture and cursing the darkness. Many are looking for the light switch while they crash about. But most don’t even question the darkness – they think it’s how life is, and they’re not aware they could turn on the light.
But the light switch can’t be found outside and no amount of fumbling around in the dark, tripping over each other and stubbing your toe and getting annoyed, will help. Because – most of you reading this are already shouting the answer! – the light switch is inside you.
The cosmic alarm clock is going off. It’s time to wake up!
- Chiron: Initiation and the process of Individuation
- Evolution of Consciousness: How to Grow a Person
- Mystic Warrior Practice – Collective Context
- Resources for surviving a Dark Night of the Soul
- Surviving Bluebeard: How to Deal with the Predator
I’m not writing much at the moment because I’m doing a lot of reading to learn about the context for what’s unfolding in the world. So over the next few weeks I might share a few choice quotes from some of those books…watch this space…