The Buddha recommends reciting the Five Remembrances every day. Meditating on the inescapable facts of life and death is a powerful way to open up your meditation practice and deepens your understanding of change. It calms anxiety and restores perspective, and reminds us to think before we act.
If my actions reflect who I really am, then is what I am about to do in harmony with my deeper truth? What will I become if I act in this way?
- I am of the nature to grow old. I cannot escape old age.
- I am of the nature to have ill health. I cannot escape ill health.
- I am of the nature to die. I cannot escape dying.
- All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change. There is no way to escape being separated from them. I cannot keep anything. I came here empty-handed, and I go empty-handed.
- My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground on which I stand.